2003-07-28

2003-07-28

The transmission tunnel was cut out, and the bulkhead chopped back further to enable the engine to be taken out with the heads on. A pair of old heads were used, and the induction was bolted on. The bonnet clearence won't be all that, but it should be quite managable.

The bulkhead was then rebuilt with 1.6mm sheet steel. I went for the extra thickness, as I felt it was important to strengthen the shell where I had removed large amounts of steel. Here's a pic.

I spot welded the plates in, so I could build it up quickly and make changes easily if necessary. No changes were needed when the engine was fitted, so I cleaned up the bay and seam welded most of it.

This is what it looked like to begin with.

The passengers side has the usual battery tray holes, I'll sort them out this weekend

The majority of the welding completed…

This gives a good view of the extra space which has been created by the bulkhead work.

When I'd dome the seam welding, I cleaned it all up, and started painting it with primer.

This is the state of the inside of the cabin. I need to rebuild the passenger side jacking point, and do some plating on the floor. I'll also finish welding the bulkhead from the inside, as there's much better access to the lower part of the bulkhead extensions.

This is how I left it. There's a couple more plates to do in the bay, the battery mounting to remove, then it'll be onto building stuff.

All the bulkhead plating was done using 1.6mm plate, which should help strengthen the shell.

Leave a Reply