2005-01-03

2005-01-03

Well, I've spent a few more days on the car and I've got a bit further with the back end. It's been frustrating as it's taken a long time to make a small amount of physical progress, as most of it was thinking time. I guess it's quite a big step forward in reality, as all that's left is the bulkhead to build and the plumbing to sort out.

I've decided to put the radiator on top of the rear diff. This is for several reasons. It gives me space to fit the fuel pumps, swirlpot and dry sump tank in the boot, it gives me a much stronger towing eye structure, and it moves the radiator out of the way of all but the worst rear impacts. The down side is that it's a lot more fiddly to do the necessary bulkheads and access is heavily restricted. However, I'm going to spend a lot of time to get the plumbing and installation right so the chance of needing to get to it is minimised.

Some photos then. Here's the rad behind the diff. it messes up the towing eye arrangement and takes up loads of useful space, but is nice and easy to access and work on.

Now with the rad on top of the rear diff carrier.

Finally, with it's clothes off!

It's coming along. I want to finish the welding on the shell next, and then to build the boot floor and the frame for all the bulkheads at the back. There'll be effectively 3 bulkheads. the main rear one separating the cabin from the back of the car, one separating the cooling air for the rad from the other side of the rad, and one between the fuel tanks and everything behind them.

I've bought a couple of sheets of hardboard to make the larger bulkhead templates. Brian used it for his window templates, and it's perfect for roughing out.

Hopefully soon, I'll end up with a completed rear end, and then I'll be waiting for an engine! I won't have many days to be able to do this next month, as I've already got all the weekends booked up. I'm hoping to have enough time this month to make up some of the bulkheads, and when I get paid, I'm going to order all the hose and fittings I'll need to finish the fuel plumbing and water plumbing, at least as far as the rear bulkhead.

I checked on fuel line sizes, and using

url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0854292756/qid%3D1104828349/026-0051350-3620439

4 stroke performance tuning

/url

as a reference, it looks like as a pressure line, JIC -6 can supply up to 500bhp worth of fuel. the tube size for the pre swirl pot needs to be bigger, and that's going to end up at JIC-8.

With this in mind, I'm thinking about running 4 pumps, 2 for the swirl pot, and 2 high pressure ones to feed the engine. I'll use 2 JIC 6 lines, one fir each side of the engine, and join them together before the regulator so it only has 1 return line.

I'm going to do some digging to find a couple of electric carb fuel pumps which can supply enough fuel, as the redtop is only rated to 200bhp. I'm sure in the states, they won't be hard to come by!

Leave a Reply