Skip to content


2003-09-11 - 2003-09-11

Okay, haven't put up anything for a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been up to much ;)

Matt came around, and we've rebuilt the rack with the new Quaife Quick rack kit (2.5 turns lock to lock). We've set the preload on the pinion to what we reckon it should be, and all's fine, until you get up one end of the rack, and then it all get's a bit notchy. I'm unsure why that is at the moment, so the rack is staying off the car. Also, A top UJ joint from the steering column doesn't fit the quaife pinion correctly. So I need to find out off them what I should do about fitting a UJ on there correctly.

So, I will ring them tomorrow, and see what they have to say for themselves.

Here are the two racks:

The 288mm disc + cossie caliper conversion is now complete, and fits behind the 15" wheels a treat :

...and finally, I've taken all the underseal off from the front arches, and used a white rust inhibitor under the arch, so that I can keep an eye on the condition of the inner arches better. I had to do quite a lot of welding to get the manta back through an MOT, which it will undertake next week, so it'll be easier now to stop the shell rotting any further than it already has. Luckily the shell is not too bad, but there were still some disaster zones. Mainly the front inner arches, a spot on the chassis legs, and the drivers side A-Pillar ( By the washer fluid resevoir funnily enough!! :evil:

That picture doesn't do it justice though. It makes the whole area much clearner. It will be much easier to see grease and/or oil leaks. Only the rear arches, and the underside of the car to go then! lol