Skip to content


2010-04-05 - 2010-04-05 Finished a manifold!

After many shenanigans after running out of Argon for the TIG welder I finally managed to get a bottle from Brian at Arcoe Metal Products on a Bank Holiday Sunday. THANKS BRIAN!! Lifesaver!

So after managing to get some more gas I managed to at least finish off one of the manifolds for the V6. It came out great, I hope it lasts at least past the MOT and whilst I'm out in Germany. I really quite enjoyed making the manifold and the only welds that really went a bit 'pete tong' were the ones where I had gaps between the pipes I was welding together. Many welds didn't even need filler rod, and it's strangely satisfying to do those welds.

I did not purge the inside of the pipes whilst welding them, so they are not totally smooth on the inside. I also didn't bother making the pipes equal length as this is not a maximum effort engine and the difference it would make would be negligable.

(Don't forget you can click on the pictures to see larger versions of them. Hide them again using the close icon at the top right of the photo)